At Old Cleeve C of E First School we follow the National Curriculum enhanced by a rich programme of memorable learning experiences designed for the needs of our children through a conscious curriculum. Through all curriculum areas, we strive to develop the skills, core knowledge and learning attitudes of our children so that they may become the best that they can be.
It is important to us to provide a broad range of exciting, relevant and creative opportunities that enrich our children’s learning, such as: wow events, trips, visitors, outdoor learning in our school grounds and links with our parish church.
Our key drivers are…
- Quality first teaching - high quality, inclusive teaching for all children, built on experiential learning opportunities, to excite, enthuse and engage.
- Conscious curriculum - a coherently planned curriculum, with reading, language and vocabulary development at its heart.
- Core knowledge - opportunities beyond the National Curriculum, providing additional content that is both challenging and engaging. Seeking opportunities for children to develop their creativity, thinking and questioning.
- Prior learning links - all learning experiences built on prior knowledge, ensuring that the children have opportunity to retrieve, revisit and embed their learning.
- Insight into future learning - all learning experiences are connected to the future and children are provided with an advance insight to their future learning.
- Precision intervention - structured intervention designed to improve the accuracy and fluency of reading, spelling and maths. Helping to ensure that the children become fluent and accurate in these essential techniques.