Welcome to Torre Class. We are a mixed year 2/3 class. Torre Class is taught by Miss Needs and supported by Miss Stevens.
Miss Needs Miss Stevens
In Torre Class we learn about the world and community we live in. We take pride in our learning and are always curious to know more. We like to work together as a team and support each other in our learning. We like to take part in practical activities to develop our skills and knowledge.
Our School Day
Pupils must bring to school everyday:
- Reading Record/Book
- Book Bag
- Water Bottle
- Packed Lunch (Unless having a School Dinner.)
- Spare Hair Bobbles
On Mondays and Wednesdays, Torre has PE. PE kits can be worn to school. Kits should please include the following:
- Black Shorts/Jogging Bottoms
- School PE sports top
- School jumper or PE jumper
Supporting Learning at Home
In order to help your child reach their full potential please support them with these key areas at home:
- Children should read at home every day for at least 20 minutes. The reading should be recorded in their reading record/diary and bought into school every day. Each book that your child reads can be quizzed on Accelerated Reader. Accelerated Reader allows children to explore their comprehension and understanding of the texts that they have read. Children can quiz either at home or at school. Each book read is worth points. These points are totalled into certificates and badges, based on how many texts a child has quizzed. Even if you do not manage to read at home, reading books and diaries need to be bought into school, so we can read with pupils in school. Please see the link below to access Accelerated Reader at home.
- Children should be accessing Times Table Rockstars every day, for at least 5 minutes to support their understanding of Multiplication and Division.
- In Torre Class, we use the Decision Spelling programme. The programme is designed to support children's understanding and knowledge of phonetic awareness that they have learnt in previous year groups. Children are set homework on a Monday which needs to be returned by the following Monday. The homework set supports the spelling rule we are learning in class during the week. In Years 2 and 3, there are words that children should be able to spell by the end of Year 2 and Year 4 respectively. Please see the links below for a full summary of words that are learnt across each year group.
Design and Technology/Art
At the end of each half term, the children complete an Art or Design and Technology project.
Themes are chosen which help children to progress in their knowledge and comprehension of these subjects whilst also giving them opportunities to work practically, solving a variety of problem solving and reasoning questions.
In Autumn 2 we focused on the work of Kate Cosgrove. Torre Class focused on the use of colour within Kate Cosgrove's artwork. We sketched a copy of Kate's artwork focusing on scale and shading. We discussed and explored colours and colour mixing within our artwork. We used watercolours to provide the colour and discussed how we needed to angle our paint brushes for certain effects.
In Spring 1 we carried out a DT project based around Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Children were tasked to create a chair that all 3 bears could sit on. Children were challenged to create a collage of ideas and explore different chair designers. Children drew and annotated their own designs before constructing their chair. Pupils evaluated their designs against the design brief and discussed what went well but also areas of improvement for future designs.